Pay as You Save (PAYS) allows electric utility customers to make home energy improvements at no upfront cost. These improvements include making homes more energy efficient and adding solar panels.
The utility pays for the upfront cost of an energy improvement. It recovers this cost by adding a charge on the customer’s monthly bill that is less than their estimated savings.
PAYS lets you save money from day one.
The equipment belongs to the customer once the utility recovers the cost of its investment. Both homeowners and renters can participate.
Enacting PAYS requires no tax dollars. It will add to the state’s economy by incentivizing billions of dollars of investment. PAYS on-bill tariff investments will help us clean our air. It will help families struggling to afford high energy bills. And, it will make our electric grid more resilient.
Sign the petition
I support Colorado enacting Pay-As-You-Save legislation. Letting Coloradans make energy-saving investments and go solar through pay-as-you-save is a smart way to save us money, create good jobs, and build a sustainable energy system.
What are the benefits of pay as you save?
- Help you go solar or make energy efficiency improvements at no upfront cost. The average homeowner saves $600/year.
- Address energy injustice by eliminating financial barriers like taking on debt. The bill will prioritize low-to-moderate income communities and renters by ensuring they are served first.
- Generate significant local economic investment. This will come from increased demand for energy efficiency products and for solar energy. We estimate $350 million each year pumped into Colorado’s economy.
- Lower electricity use and increase access to solar energy. This makes our electric grid more reliable and lowers costs for everyone.
- Let us meet Colorado’s goal of reducing carbon emissions.
1 The PAYS trademark is held by the Energy Efficiency Institute of Vermont, which has never charged for its use. EEI upholds the trademark to ensure programs meet specific consumer protection standards.